Palo Alto Networks Enterprise Firewall PA-1420
Brings Next Generation Firewall capabilities to smaller campus locations and larger distributed enterprise branch offices.
Looking for sizing recommendation? Take our Firewall Sizing Survey
Please Note: We cannot provide sizing recommendations for Palo Alto firewalls being deployed outside of the United States. Palo Alto firewalls are only available for
licensed businesses (not home users). Palo Alto firewalls cannot be sold outside of the United States excluding Canada. 1 Year minimum of Partner Enabled Backline Support is required for all new Palo Alto firewall purchases
Palo Alto Networks PA-1420
Get a Quote!
Click here to jump to more pricing!
Palo Alto Networks PA-1400 Series ML-Powered Next-Generation Firewalls, comprising the PA-1420 and PA-1410, are designed to provide secure connectivity for organizations’ branch offices as well as midsize businesses.
The controlling element of the PA-1400 Series is PANOS, the same software that runs all Palo Alto Networks NGFWs. PAN-OS natively classifies all traffic, inclusive of applications, threats, and content, and then ties that traffic to the user regardless of location or device type. The application, content, and user—in other words, the elements that run your business—then serve as the basis of your security policies, resulting in improved security posture and reduced incident response time.
- World’s first ML-Powered NGFW
- Eleven-time Leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Network Firewalls
- Leader in the Forrester Wave: Enterprise Firewalls, Q4 2022
- Delivers predictable performance with security services
- Simplifies deployment of large numbers of firewalls with optional Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP)
- Native web proxy support in NGFW to simplify and consolidate management of firewall and proxy functionalities
- Supports centralized administration with Panorama network security management
- Extends visibility and security to all devices, including unmanaged IoT devices, without the need to deploy additional sensors
- Supports high availability with active/active and active/passive modes
- Maximizes security investments and prevents business disruptions with AIOps
Key Security and Connectivity Features:
ML-Powered Next-Generation Firewall
- Embeds machine learning (ML) in the core of the firewall to provide inline signatureless attack prevention for file- based attacks while identifying and immediately stopping never-before-seen phishing attempts.
- Leverages cloud-based ML processes to push zero-delay signatures and instructions back to the NGFW.
- Uses behavioral analysis to detect IoT devices and make policy recommendations as part of a cloud-delivered and natively integrated service on the NGFW.
- Automates policy recommendations that save time and reduce the chance of human error.
Identifies and categorizes all applications, on all ports, all the time, with full Layer 7 inspection
- Identifies the applications traversing your network irrespective of port, protocol, evasive techniques, or encryption (TLS/SSL).
- Automatically discovers and controls new applications to keep pace with the SaaS explosion with SaaS Security subscription.
- Uses the application, not the port, as the basis for all your safe enablement policy decisions: allow, deny, schedule, inspect, and apply traffic-shaping.
- Offers the ability to create custom App-ID™ tags for pro- prietary applications or request App-ID development for new applications from Palo Alto Networks.
- Identifies all payload data within an application (e.g., files and data patterns) to block malicious files and thwart exfil- tration attempts.
- Creates standard and customized application usage reports, including software-as-a-service (SaaS) reports that provide insight into all sanctioned and unsanctioned SaaS traffic on your network.
- Enables safe migration of legacy Layer 4 rule sets to App-ID-based rules with built-in Policy Optimizer, giving you a rule set that is more secure and easier to manage.
Offers Centralized Management and Visibility
- Benefits from centralized management, configuration, and visibility for multiple distributed Palo Alto Networks NGFWs (irrespective of location or scale) through Panorama network security management, in one unified user interface.
- Streamlines configuration sharing through Panorama with templates and device groups and scales log collection as logging needs increase. PA-410, PA-415, PA-440, PA-445, PA-450, PA-460 allow export session logs to Panorama and Cortex Data Lake. PA-415, PA-440, PA-445, PA-450, and PA-460 also support on box session logging.
- Enables users, through the Application Command Center (ACC), to obtain deep visibility and comprehensive insights into network traffic and threats.
Maximize Your Security Investment and Prevent Business Disruption with AIOps
- Delivers continuous best practice recommendations customized to your unique deployment to strengthen your security posture and get the most out of your security investment.
- IIntelligently predicts firewall health, performance, and capacity problems based on ML powered by advanced telemetry data.
- Provides actionable insights to resolve the predicted disruptions.
Enables SD-WAN functionality
- Allows you to easily adopt SD-WAN by simply enabling it on your existing firewalls.
- Enables you to safely implement SD-WAN, which is natively integrated with our industry-leading security.
- Delivers an exceptional end user experience by minimizing latency, jitter, and packet loss.
Prevents malicious activity concealed in encrypted traffic
- Inspects and applies policy to TLS/SSL-encrypted traffic, both inbound and outbound, including for traffic that uses TLS 1.3 and HTTP/2.
- Offers rich visibility into TLS traffic, such as amount of encrypted traffic, TLS/SSL versions, cipher suites, and more, without decrypting.
- Enables control over use of legacy TLS protocols, insecure ciphers, and misconfigured certificates to mitigate risks.
- Facilitates easy deployment of decryption and lets you use built-in logs to troubleshoot issues, such as applications with pinned certificates.
- Lets you enable or disable decryption flexibly based on URL category, source and destination zone, address, user, user group, device, and port, for privacy and compliance purposes.
- Allows you to create a copy of decrypted traffic from the firewall (i.e., decryption mirroring) and send it to traffic collection tools for forensics, historical purposes, or data loss prevention (DLP).
- Allows you to intelligently forward all traffic (decrypted TLS, non-decrypted TLS, and non-TLS) to third-party security tools with Network Packet Broker, optimize your network performance, and reduce operating expenses.
Enforces security for users at any location, on any device, while adapting policy based on user activity
- Enables visibility, security policies, reporting, and forensics based on users and groups—not just IP addresses.
- Easily integrates with a wide range of repositories to lever- age user information: wireless LAN controllers, VPNs, directory servers, SIEMs, proxies, and more.
- Allows you to define Dynamic User Groups (DUGs) on the firewall to take time-bound security actions without wait- ing for changes to be applied to user directories.
- Applies consistent policies irrespective of users’ locations (office, home, travel, etc.) and devices (iOS and Android® mobile devices, macOS®, Windows®, Linux desktops, lap- tops; Citrix and Microsoft VDI and Terminal Servers).
- Prevents corporate credentials from leaking to third-party websites and prevents reuse of stolen credentials by enabling multi-factor authentication (MFA) at the network layer for any application without any application changes.
- Provides dynamic security actions based on user behavior to restrict suspicious or malicious users.
- Consistently authenticates and authorizes your users, regardless of their location and where user identity stores live, to quickly move toward a Zero Trust security posture with Cloud Identity Engine—an entirely new cloud-based architecture for identity-based security.
Delivers a unique approach to packet processing with Single-Pass Architecture
- Performs networking, policy lookup, application and de- coding, and signature matching—for all threats and con- tent—in a single pass. This significantly reduces the amount of processing overhead required to perform multi- ple functions in one security device.
- Avoids introducing latency by scanning traffic for all signa- tures in a single pass, using stream-based, uniform signa- ture matching.
- Enables consistent and predictable performance when security subscriptions are enabled. (In Table 1, “Threat Prevention throughput” is measured with multiple sub- scriptions enabled.)
Detect and Prevent Advanced Threats with Cloud-Delivered Security Services
Today’s sophisticated cyberattacks can spawn 45,000 variants in 30 minutes using multiple threat vectors and advanced techniques to deliver malicious payloads. Traditional siloed security causes challenges for organizations by introducing security gaps, increasing overhead for security teams, and hindering business productivity with inconsistent access and visibility.
Seamlessly integrated with our industry-leading NGFWs, our Cloud-Delivered Security Services use the network effect of 80,000 customers to instantly coordinate intelligence and protect against all threats across all vectors. Eliminate coverage gaps across your locations and take advantage of best-in-class security delivered consistently in a platform to stay safe from even the most advanced and evasive threats
- Advanced Threat Prevention: Stop known exploits, malware, malicious URLs, spyware, and command and control (C2) with 96% prevention of web-based Cobalt Strike C2 and 48% more unknown C2 detected than the industry’s leading intrusion prevention (IPS) solution.
- Advanced WildFire: Ensure files are safe by automatically detecting and preventing unknown malware 180x faster with the industry’s largest threat intelligence and malware prevention engine
- Advanced URL Filtering: Enable safe access to the internet with the industry’s first real-time prevention of known and unknown websites, stopping 76% of malicious URLs 24 hours before other vendors.
- DNS Security: Gain 40% more DNS-attack coverage and disrupt the 80% of attacks that use DNS for command and control and data theft without requiring any changes to your infrastructure.
- Enterprise DLP: Minimize risk of a data breach, stop out-of-policy data transfers, and enable compliance consistently across your enterprise with 2x greater coverage of any cloud-delivered enterprise DLP.
- SaaS Security: Stay ahead of the SaaS explosion with the industry’s only Next-Generation CASB to automatically see and secure all apps across all protocols
- IoT Security: Safeguard every “thing” and implement Zero Trust device security 20x faster with the industry’s smartest security for smart devices.
Native Web Proxy Support for the Next-Generation Firewall
- Ability to consolidate firewall and proxy into a single platform while managing capabilities through a centralized management platform to build policies.
- Ability to support explicit proxy through PAC files and also transparent proxy.
- Explicit proxy can help with no-default route architectures with on-premises proxy deployments. Explicit proxy supports authentication with Kerberos and SAML
- Transparent proxy setup is simplified without the need for WCCP or authentication
|Network Address Translation (NAT)|
|Modes: Active/Active, Active/Passive
Failure detection: Path monitoring, interface monitoring
PA-1410: 10/100/1000 (8), 1G/2.5G/5G (4)/PoE, 1G SFP (6), 1G/10G SFP/SFP+ (4)
PA-1420: 10/100/1000 (4), 1G/2.5G/5G (4), 1G/2.5G/5G (4)/PoE, 1G SFP (2), 1G/10G SFP/SFP+ (8)
10/100/1000 out-of-band management port (1)
HSCI 10 gigabit high availability (1)
RJ-45 console port (1)
USB port (1)
Micro USB console port (1)
|Power over Ethernet (PoE)|
PA-1410, PA-1420 Total PoE Power Budget: 151W, Maximum load on single port: 90W
PA-1410: 120 GB SSD
PA-1420: 240 GB SSD
|Power (Max Power Consumption)|
AC 450W power supply (1); Optional for purchase 2nd AC 450W power supply (1)
|Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF)|
|Input Voltage (Input Frequency)|
100–240 VAC (50–60 Hz)
|Rack Mount Dimensions|
PA-1410, PA-1420: 1U, 19" standard rack (1.70" H x 14.15" D x 17.15" W)
|Weight (Standalone Device/As Shipped)|
PA-1410, PA-1420: 15.5 lbs
FCC Class A, CE Class A, VCCI Class A
Operating temperature: 0°C to 40°C at 10,000 feet
Non-operating temperature: -4°F to 158°F; -20°C to 70°C
Front to back
Download the Palo Alto Networks PA-1400 Series Specification Datasheet (PDF).
- Pricing subject to change without notice.
- We cannot provide sizing recommendations for Palo Alto firewalls being deployed outside of the United States.
Palo Alto firewalls are only available for licensed businesses (not home users). Palo Alto firewalls cannot be sold outside of the United States excluding Canada. 1 Year minimum of Partner Enabled Backline Support is required for all new Palo Alto firewall purchases
Palo Alto Networks PA-1420
Get a Quote!