DNS Security Services
Apply predictive analytics to disrupt attacks that use DNS for command and control or data theft
Palo Alto Networks DNS Security service applies predictive analytics to disrupt attacks that use DNS for C2 or data theft. Tight integration with Palo Alto Networks next-generation firewalls gives you automated protection and eliminates the need for independent tools. Threats hidden in DNS traffic are rapidly identified with shared threat intelligence and machine learning. Cloud-based protections scale infinitely and are always up to date, giving your organization a critical new control point to stop attacks that use DNS.
Figure 1: Rich DNS data powers machine learning for protection
- Predict and block new malicious domains with machine learning
- Neutralize DNS-based tunneling
- Simplify security with automation and replace stand-alone tools
Predict and Block New Malicious Domains
DNS is a massive and often overlooked attack surface present in every organization. Adversaries take advantage of the ubiquitous nature of DNS to abuse it at multiple points of an attack, including reliable C2. Security teams struggle to keep up with new malicious domains and enforce consistent protections for millions of emerging domains at once.
The DNS Security service takes a different approach to predicting and blocking malicious domains, giving the advantage back to overwhelmed network defenders. Now, your Palo Alto Networks next-generation firewalls can:
- Automatically protect you against tens of millions of malicious domains identified with real-time analysis and continuously
growing, global threat intelligence. Your protection continues to grow with data from a large, expanding threat intelligence
sharing community. Our malicious domain database has been gathered over years, with sources including:
- WildFire® malware prevention service to find new C2 domains, file download source domains, and domains in malicious email links.
- URL Filtering to continuously crawl newfound or uncategorized sites for threat indicators.
- Passive DNS and device telemetry to understand domain resolution history seen from thousands of deployed next-generation firewalls, generating petabytes of data per day.
- Unit 42 threat research to provide human-driven adversary tracking and malware reverse engineering, including insight from globally deployed honeypots.
- More than 30 third-party sources of threat intelligence to enrich our understanding.
- Predict and stop malicious domains from domain generation algorithm-based malware with instant enforcement.
Malware’s use of domain generation algorithms (DGA) continues to grow, limiting the effectiveness of blocking known
malicious domains alone. DGA malware uses a list of randomly generated domains for C2, which can overwhelm the
signature capability of traditional security approaches. DNS Security deals with DGA malware by using:
- Machine learning to detect new and never-before-seen DGA domains by analyzing DNS queries as they are performed.
- Easy-to-set policy for dynamic action to block DGA domains or sinkhole DNS queries.
- Threat attribution and context to identify the malware family with machine learning for faster investigation efforts.
- Provide limitless protection against malicious domains with a cloud-based database for infinite scale. Your protections are always up to date, whether 10,000 or 100,000,000 new malicious domains are created in a single day. As part of the cloud-based service, all DNS queries are checked against our infinitely scalable, cloud-based database in real time to determine appropriate enforcement action. DNS Security service removes one of the most effective and widely used methods by which attackers establish C2, and its protection scales infinitely, ensuring your next-generation firewall can get ahead of new malicious domains before they cause harm.
Neutralize DNS Tunneling
Advanced attackers use DNS tunneling to hide data theft or C2 in standard DNS traffic. The sheer volume of DNS traffic often means defenders simply lack the visibility or resources to universally inspect it for threats. Our DNS Security service lets you:
- Use machine learning to quickly detect C2 or data theft hidden in DNS tunneling. With historical and real-time shared threat intelligence, our algorithms observe the features of DNS queries, including query rate and patterns, entropy, and n-gram frequency analysis of the domains to accurately detect tunneling behavior.
- Extend PAN-OS® signature-based protection to identify advanced tunneling attempts. DNS Security expands the next-generation firewall’s native ability to detect and prevent DNS tunneling. Protections are scalable and evasion-resistant, covering known and unknown variants of DNS tunneling.
- Rapidly neutralize DNS tunneling with automated policy action. DNS tunneling is automatically stopped with the combination of easy-to-set policy actions on the next-generation firewall and blocking the parent domain for all customers.
Simplify Security with Automation and Replace Stand-Alone Tools
Security teams need integrated innovations that extend the value of their existing security investments without complicating operations. DNS Security takes advantage of the next-generation firewall platform to stop attacks using DNS, with full automation to reduce manual effort.
- Eliminate the need for independent DNS security tools or changes to DNS routing with next-generation firewall integration. Tight integration with the next-generation firewall platform provides a critical new control point to stop attacks that use DNS, extending your existing investment. The service ensures you have one device to deploy, with a single set of policies to manage. Alerts are coordinated across your entire security stack, including firewall policy violations, IPS/IDS, web security, and malware analysis.
- Automate dynamic response to find infected machines and quickly respond in policy. When attacks using DNS are identified, security administrators can automate the process of sinkholing malicious domains on the firewall to cut off C2 and rapidly identify infected users on the network. Combining malicious domain sinkholing, Dynamic Address Groups, and Logging Actions automates detection and response workflows, saving analysts time by removing slow and manual processes.
- Seamlessly take advantage of the latest DNS security innovations through our extensible, cloud-based architecture. The DNS Security service is built on a modular, cloud-based architecture to seamlessly add new detection, prevention, and analytics capabilities with zero customer impact. We will continue to use our rich shared threat intelligence and native enforcement capabilities to deliver new innovations against attacks using DNS.
Protection Without Performance Impact
Advanced security is seamlessly applied to DNS queries in real time with no business impact. The service is hosted on Palo Alto's global security service delivery network to provide the low latency and high performance necessary to minimize impact to DNS traffic on customer networks.
DNS Security Requirements
To use Palo Alto Networks DNS Security service, you will need:
- Palo Alto Networks next-generation firewalls running PAN-OS® 9.0 or later
- Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention license
The DNS Security license is available as an integrated, cloud-based service for the Palo Alto Networks next-generation firewall platform. It is also available as part of the Palo Alto Networks Subscription ELA or VM-Series ELA.
Download the Palo Alto Networks DNS Security Service Datasheet (PDF).